Wednesday 6 June 2012

A New Book - and a street party

I'm delighted to say that the UK paperback edition of The Hanging Wood has just come out, published by Allison & Busby. The hardback earned gratifying reviews, and although it was written in rather testing circumstances, it turned out - contrary to my expectation at one time, I must admit - to be a book that moved the Lake District series on in a way that new and regular readers, as well as reviewers, have been kind enough to approve.

In celebration of a rather more widely acclaimed achievement, the Queen's Diamond Jubilee, yesterday I attended a street party for the very first time in my life. It was held in the long and pleasant, tree-lined road which adjoins the cul-de-sac where I live. Nearly 300 people attended, and we invited along Kate Ellis and her husband Roger to add a bit of crime writerly macabre to the festivities.

In my younger days, I wouldn't really have fancied the idea of a street party, but - perhaps I've mellowed with the years - I really looked forward to this one, and it was quite brilliantly organised by a neighbour, Peter Cotton and his team. They even managed to keep the rain at bay until the celebrations were nearly at an end. A memorable day.

Which leads me to the question I put to Kate: has there ever been a murder mystery set at a street party? If you know of any, do let me know.If not, perhaps one day I'll write one...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Martin - It looks as though you had a great time! And good news about the paperback of The Hanging Wood. I'm looking forward to your next Lake District novel, too (Hint, hint! ;-) ).

Bill Selnes said...

How many of the cakes did you try at the party? They look amazing.

Martin Edwards said...

Thanks - Bill, I plead the right to silence on my cake consumption! They were great....